Latest News about the Huronia, Rideau and Southwestern Regional Settlements

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Court approved settlements of the Rideau and Southwestern Regional Centre lawsuits on Monday, February 24, 2014. This means that the Court has decided that these settlements are fair and reasonable.

If you lived at Rideau between 1963 and 2009, you can ask for money from the Rideau settlement.

If you lived at Southwestern between 1963 and 2008, you can ask for money from the Southwestern settlement. 

The Court approved the settlement of the Huronia Regional Centre lawsuit on December 3, 2013.

If you lived at Huronia or a place Huronia put you between 1945 and 2009, you can ask for money from the Huronia settlement.

On February 25, 2014, the Court decided how much to pay the lawyers for people who lived at Huronia, Rideau and Southwestern.  Those lawyers work at a law firm called Koskie Minsky LLP. You do not need to pay the lawyers. The Court decided to pay them about 17.4 million dollars from the settlements.

You will need to fill in a Claim Form to ask for money from the settlements. The lawyers are still making the Claim Form. You cannot get the Claim Form yet.  When the form is ready, you will only have four months to fill it in and send it to the claims office. If you do not send it on time, you will not be able to get any money from the settlement.  At the end of this announcement, there is information about what you can do now to get ready.

You will not lose government services or social assistance if you get settlement money. This settlement is separate from Ontario government services in the community, group homes, or in your own home. It does not affect developmental services, supports or funding from the Ontario government.  It does not affect ODSP or Ontario Disability Support Program money and Ontario Works or OW money.

Check the ARCH website so that you can get the form as soon as it is ready, and to find out when you must send it in. You do not need to send the Claim Form right away, as long as you send it before the deadline. Take the time you need to remember and write what happened and to get any papers that help you. A person you trust can help you to fill in the form.

You can do some things now to get ready to fill in the form: 

  • You can write down things that hurt you when you lived there
  • You can ask for help from someone you trust. 
  • Did other people see these things happen to you?  You can ask them to write what they remember. 
  • You can also ask family, friends, doctors, counsellors and support people or anyone else to write letters about how you are still hurting from what happened. 
  • If you saw other people get hurt at Rideau or Southwestern, you can write what you remember. They can use what you write to help fill in their Claim Form.  
  • There will also be workshops about the settlements and the Claims Form. You can go to the workshops. ARCH will also give workshops about this. Check the ARCH Alert and our website to find out when we will hold the workshops. 
  • You can ask for your files from Huronia, Rideau, and Southwestern. To do this, contact Cate Parker at the Ministry of Community and Social Services.  Send her a letter with a photocopy of front and back sides of a piece of your ID that shows your photo. This could be your: 

                                        Health card
                                        Driver's license
                                        Ontario photo card
                                        Status card
                                        Canadian citizenship card

If you do not have this kind of ID, you can still get your file. But first you must contact Cate Parker for help.

Below is a sample letter to Cate Parker. You can fill in the lines with your information and send it to her. You can also email Cate Parker at:


You do not have to pay for these files because you need them for the settlement.


Cate Parker 
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Coordinator
Ministry of Community and Social Services
PO Box 978
77 Wellesley Street West
Toronto ON  M7A 1N3
Dear Ms Parker:
I lived at ___________________________________ Regional Centre, or a place where that Centre put me.  I want all my files and any of my information from when I lived there. I need them for the settlement.
My first name is ________________________________. 
My last name is __________________. 
Please send the information to this address:
Street and number_____________________________
Apartment number if there is one ________________
City or town ______________________________
Province __________________________________
Country __________________________________
Postal Code _______________________________
If you need to call me, please use this number:  
Area code ________ 
Phone or TTY number _________
Thank you.
Sign your name here:________________