Skip To Content
Blog News Contact Site Map

Legal Advice

ARCH provides a Summary Advice and Referral Service which is a free, confidential legal service directly to persons with disabilities from across Ontario on certain disability-related areas of law, including:

  • accessibility laws
  • attendant/PSW services
  • education law
  • transportation
  • discrimination/human rights
    • accommodation in the workplace
    • primary/secondary education
    • post-secondary education
    • service animals
  • decision-making rights
    • supported decision-making
    • removing guardianship
    • public guardian and trustee

This service provides legal and non-legal referrals,  legal information,  and summary legal advice.

If you are calling when our office is closed and you require urgent legal advice, you may contact the Law Society Referral Service at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 (within the GTA).

Who is eligible

All persons with disabilities who reside in Ontario can access ARCH’s Summary Advice and Referral service. For any additional legal services beyond ARCH’s Summary Advice and Referral service, Legal Aid Ontario’s financial eligibility criteria applies.

In some circumstances, parents, guardians, and support persons may participate in ARCH’s Summary Advice and Referral service with consent of the person with a disability.

How to make an appointment

When you call , ARCH staff will speak with you and take down the details of your problem. You will be asked for some information like your full name and available contact information so that we can ensure there is no conflict for us to help you. If your matter falls within ARCH’s areas of law, you will receive an appointment with ARCH staff or student.

If You Need Accommodations

Our Summary Advice and Referral service is a province-wide telephone service. If you require disability-related accommodations to access this service, please contact us  to receive appropriate disability related accommodations.

Other places that can help

If you need legal assistance with landlord and tenant or ODSP matters contact your local community legal clinic. To locate your local community legal clinic, please use the Legal Aid Ontario legal clinic directory .

For information on community, social, health and government services in Ontario, see

You may also wish to visit Steps to Justice website for legal information.


Last Modified: February 11, 2019

Sign Up for ARCH Updates

Don't have an email address?
Updates on ARCH activities and events.
Posts that explore topics on disability law, legal practice, and anything in between.
ARCH Alert
Quarterly newsletter with news and information on disability issues and updates on ARCH work.